Rugs are dirt magnets next to carpets themselves. Sometimes, the abuse they face every day are even worse than the carpet themselves because they are the very first thing that a foot could step on before entering a house. So, taking care of them will be helpful in the long run.
Traditional cleaning techniques for rugs are also similar with carpet cleaning – and that is by using a vacuum cleaner. But what if you want to do a deep clean into the rug and there’s no available professional carpet cleaner around? Do not worry, Able’s Carpet Cleaning Pueblo Colorado will once again provide a tip on how to easily clean your rugs for free.
For this you’ll need:
- Vacuum clean your rugs first
- Laundry detergent
- Water hose (with spraying attachments a plus)
- A cemented area
- A bristled brush
Here’s what you need to do.
1. Vacuum the rugs first to remove the top layered dirt.
2. Take the rugs into a cemented area on where you can lay them flat. You can use your driveway as an example.
3. Hose down your rugs until they are completely saturated with clean water.
4. Pour some laundry detergent on the rug. Make sure you only pour small amounts because most laundry detergents are pretty concentrated and to equally distribute that amount on the rug. You may need to pour a little more on the areas that do have stains and very dirty.
5. Spray water on the areas that has laundry detergents for it to create a few bubbles then begin brushing your rug with a bristled brush.
6. After brushing the rug, let it sit in the sun anywhere from 10 minutes up to 24 hours. The longer you let it sit, the harder it will be for the detergent to work on with stains.
7. After letting the rug sit in, rinse the rug by hosing it down starting at one end and working the detergent out of the rug.
8. After rinsing the rug from the detergent, roll the rug tightly to remove excess water. This will also make the top part of the rug not being exposed to too much sunlight that might result in bleaching.
9. Then find a dry area on where you can stand up the rolled-up rugs to drain and dry.
- For expensive or rugs that have rubber backing, please dry them in a shay area.
- Average drying time for small to medium size rugs is 48 hours in 70 degrees heat with 50% humidity.
10. Once the rugs are partially dry, you can open them up to finish the whole drying process. But be sure not to over expose the top part of the rug to the sun.
Please call us or fill up our form for us to help you about your carpet or rug cleaning worries.